Monday, May 4, 2015

Blog Reflection

Over the last couple of months, I’ve been developing this blog. This would be my fifteenth post. I’ve noticed that my writing evolved as I kept writing in the blog. At first I had a very formal approach to the blog experience. I essentially wrote an essay and then posted it on the blog. Then, as I familiarized myself with the whole blog concept, I realized that I could be less formal while still keeping an organized flow of idea. I think I was successful in achieving this. I see myself drifting even more from the whole “essay format” on this post. It should be an interesting writing experience
As I said, my blog posts were initially mere essays. Then I started being comfortable with the idea of “it’s my blog and I can do whatever I want.” Of course, that is not entirely true, since I had the professor’s guidelines to follow and the own guidelines that I imposed upon myself. I knew I could “do what I want,” but what I want includes keeping my posts and ideas organized. That is just the kind of person I am, I guess. I wanted my posts to flow and to be easy to read. I wanted my readers to not struggle with my train of thought. I have ADD and I can sometimes get carried away, like I did in the journal, so I wanted to keep it organized. What do you guys think? Did I achieve my purpose with my posts? Were my ideas clear? See, that’s another thing. I can ask readers questions on the blog and they have the ability to respond. That doesn’t happen as easily with regular essays or papers. That’s cool.
I liked writing about diverse topics and analyzing the material covered in class. It gave me an opportunity to analyze my views and opinions on diverse topics. That’s not something that I do frequently these days since all my other classes are basically math and science. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. I love math and science, but it’s nice to get the brain to ponder on ideas and not just physical concepts and numbers.
Of the whole blog experience, I particularly liked how I could add photos, post links to videos and add all other sorts of media into my posts. It allowed for better expression of ideas outside the use of words. It also helps with the mood of the post. My favorite media attachment was when I added the song that inspired the first poem that I posted on the blog. I wrote my last couple of posts while listening to music, so that might have been a precipitating factor in the media addition concept by increasing my creativity.
As I mentioned before, I also liked the fact that others can comment on my posts. I was surprised that my colleagues share and agree with the ideas that I present. Aside from commenting, people can also ask questions. This makes for a more personal experience.

Essentially, what I liked about the blog experience is that it is less structured than the essay paradigm. I can use a different kind of structure. I can make my own structure, for that matter. I liked being able to add pictures, videos and links to other sites on the web. And I really liked as well the availability of a comments feature. I’d definitely like to keep another blog in the future. It’s something that I had previously considered multiple times and this experience definitely tells me to do it.

_______________
Check out my first post here so you can see how it's different from this one.

3 comments:

  1. "Did I achieve my purpose with my posts? Were my ideas clear? See, that’s another thing. I can ask readers questions on the blog and they have the ability to respond." Instead of asking this type of thing i just wrote without caring too much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree on the essay-ish posts at the beginning thing. I sort of did the same with my own blog.

    Also, I hadn't thought about that thing with the comments and immediate feedback from classmates. It's pretty cool indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Am I the only one that feels like my writing isn't influencing my essay writing? (As in developing the skill of writing in order).

    ReplyDelete