Monday, February 2, 2015

Prejudice and Obligation

     The film “Running Brave” is about a native American, named Billy Mills, born on a reservation who is an incredibly good runner and gains admission to a University and its track/cross-country team. Upon leaving the reservation, he must go fight against a prejudiced society in order to obtain success both as a runner, in his career, and in his personal life. This is not the only obstacle laid in front of him. He also struggled having to run as an obligation and not for just as something he did for fun.


     Throughout the entire movie, the viewer can see how Billy confronts a prejudiced society. In the beginning of the film, it is seen how a man from the team diminishes Billy Mills just for being an Indian and doesn’t want him on his team even though Billy set a course record on the particular course in which he was tested for admission. Later on, his team mates don’t respect him only because he is an Indian. One night, a guard at the university is very disrespectful to Billy when the guard finds him, assumes he’s an intruder because of his race and says that he can’t be in the university grounds. Billy says that he is a student and the guard follows him to the dorm for an ID.
     I cannot say that I’ve lived or experienced situation similar to what Billy experienced. I’ve lived my entire life in Puerto Rico and, being only 19 years old and a native, I have not been prejudiced for my race. However, I still have experienced another form of prejudice. It has happened to me multiple times and it is due to my age. Sometimes, when going to store, the employees haven’t treated me as a serious costumer. I imagine they think “Oh, this is just a poor student. He’s not going to spend any significant money in here.” And that’s if I’m lucky, because they might think something worse like that I’m a degenerate or a delinquent. So they don’t pay attention to me and neglect me as a costumer. Most of the time, I don’t spend much money. The truth is that I’m a student shopping, for example, at a pharmacy. What sort of big purchase do they expect? However, I am still a costumer and, above all, a human being who deserves attention and respect. This might be a small thing, but it really bothers be, especially since I’m a serious person who goes in with serious intentions of buying something or requesting a service only to come to be undermined because of my young appearance.
     The second obstacle I mentioned is how Billy began to dread running as an obligation. He had always loved to run. However, being obligated to do so, and particularly while being surrounded by such a prejudiced environment, it did not make for an enjoyable experience. I believe that any experience (be it a hobby, a passion, or anything else) can cease to be an enjoyable experience once one is forced to do it. This was one of the “cons” when I was considering studying music after graduating high school. I love playing but for me it’s more of a hobby, a way to relax and get away. Having it as job might have been stressful because of the obligation of having to play even if I don’t feel like it. Not to mention the possible stress of the precarious economic situation of such a career. Another similar situation occurs between me and cycling. I love to ride my bike and I even go to races every now and then. I always try to be better and to go faster, but I don’t think I’d be able to maintain a formal training as would be required if I would be on a team. I ride when I want to ride. I ride how long and how fast I feel like riding. If I’m tired, I’m probably not going to ride (unless I’ve already made plans with someone, because I’m not going to “leave them hanging”). If I were to be on a similar situation like Billy, were for example I’d be offered a  cycling scholarship at my university,  I’d probably not accept it unless I’d need it for economic reasons.
     I was able to identify with the conflicts that Billy faced in the movie. Living in a prejudiced society is the least compatible with my life experiences. I could only relate to being prejudged for my young age/appearance. The most compatible conflict present on the movie was how Billy struggled with running once it became a chore and an obligation instead of something that he just loved to do for the fun of it. Being a musician and a cyclist, I was able to relate to his struggle. 

3 comments:

  1. How did you manage your stuggle?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prejudice, as you say, exists in many ways in our society. Discrimination based on age is something we as students face quite often, so your struggle is one most of us can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I love playing but for me it’s more of a hobby, a way to relax and get away." I feel the same way about piano.

    ReplyDelete